Monday, February 27, 2012

Writing the music you would like to listen to

If a composer would be satisfied with the existing music he wouldn't be a composer anymore. A composer is searching all the time for music which is not existing yet - of course you don't want to write a piece which is already existing (usually in a version you not even could dream to write it). The easiest way to find a music which hasn't been written before is to search in parts of music which are located as far as possible from the "normal" music or also outside of the music. Although almost every experiment is already done, this seems to be still the method of many composers.
I gave up searching in this direction a long time ago. My only criterion is: I want to write a music which I really like to listen to - I want to be in love with that music for a while. And I am searching in the areas surrounding me, the nearer the better, and trying  to find something which was probably used millions of times but not in the sense I am using it. That works not every time but sometimes.
That is hopefully a chance to get contact to the audience again because - since I am a human - other humans could enjoy what I enjoyed. Get out of the Ghettos!